I'm still tickled pink my Oriental Spring won a ribbon at the Valley Quilter's Quilt show this year. I made this back a while but it has always been been one of my favorites. I learned a lot about applique and quilting doing it. The flowers are 3 dimensional and the quilt is reversable. I made a circular design on the back to honor the Japanese tradition to use these in their quilts. I really like how the iris came out. And I love red. So this is my entry for the Spring Bloggers Quilt Festival. To join the festival, click on the button below. There are a lot of beautiful quilts there!
Okay, here is what I have on my design wall (err make that carpet)or had that is. One orphan block - well, actually I have 13, but I've come up with a design for the other 12 and are approximately 17" squarish, so that makes this an orphan. I've decided to make a coverlet(that's a quilt without batting) as a summer throw. This is going to be totally from my scraps. In keeping with that I've picked an old curtain of which you can see the back under the dresden plate block. I got that at a fabric swap as I really liked the print. So first order of business is to machine applique the block to the center of the backing. Yes, this will be a "quilt as I find to add".
Okay, it's just a pre-printed/quilted panel. I just refuse to call it a cheater panel - LOL. I added the binding. It was a ufo cuz I bought it out of a bargain bin with every intention of making a baby quilt, so to me it qualifies as a ufo - it was waiting to get finished.
This one's going to the local crisis pregnancy center. Thin - just right for summer. Now to find UFO #8.
Another of the countless ufos is done. Here is a round robin my online group (quiltsonreview at yahoo groups) hosted in 08. I specifically requested a smaller robin because I want to hang this in our master bathroom. I made the poppy in the center in a sulky class in the late 90s at the Road to California Quilt Show. It was a lot of fun, ladies! Thank you for your beautiful contributions. I especially liked that we did a journal to go with it, but can I find it?! LOL I'm sure it will turn up as I continue to destash. Here is the back:
Okay, I'm late, but the last two weeks have been way too busy. So here is the quilt that was on my design wall a couple of mondays ago. I don't have a wall any more to hang the blocks from - LOL , it's behind the boxes that have materialized from somewhere - you know how that happens, so I use the carpeted floor in the guest room. Here it is quilt top together, sandwiched and I'm quilting it. The blocks are 6 inches without the sashing. I like to use freezer paper to quilt a motif. On the left here is the finished quilt. I call it Fielding Nine - it's an opportunity
Bullseye Blossoms. These bullseye blocks were from a few years back from the online group Quilter On Review. I made 25 for the swap and cut into fourths and send them to our Swap Lady. She returned them and I made the ones you see as the border. When I had assembled them, I realized the quilt was smaller than I wanted, so I had to think of something to make it bigger. The blocks measure 8" finished. I searched the web images and didn't find anything I wanted to tackle, and then I thought of all those circles I had cut out of the backs when I was making the bullseye and the blossoms were born. These are all raw edge appliqué, so it was a breeze to put together and to quilt. I made it my quilt as I go way - lol - this time I could do the whole center and then just added the borders. I'm keeping this one.