Applique Thursday 9/1/11

New block for me!  I've decided to learn the back basting method as per Kay Mackenzie's tutorial.  She does such beautiful work!  Go here if you'd like to see her post on this method of applique.  I really, really like how it ensures the pieces are right where they're suppose to be in the applique design.  And here is my piece I have started on. 

The larger leaves are basted. Only the small leaf, the stems and the cherries are actually appliqued.  Boy, it is slow going.  I 'm so glad I have those gold eye needles from John James right now!  I'll keep plugging away at it.  If you enlarge the photo by clicking on it, you can see the basting on the leaves.  Here's what the back looks like:
I'm going to finish this whole 14" square using this method, but I'm already itching to change things so I can possibly machine stitch it.  We'll see.

For great tips and beautiful photos of applique, do visit Kay's website at http://www.allaboutapplique.net/

Please share a link to your applique - it can be one you want to make, have already made, one you admire.  I loved last week's eye candy - thank you!  Hope to see more.





1 comment:

  1. I hadn't heard about back basting before. Interesting! I'll have to try it.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by. It's always nice to hear from you. I try to reply to each and every one of you, but sometimes life gets in the way. I hope you understand. Blessings.

All Comes to A Halt

 Sighhhh....  While I was quilting I  ran my finger, somehow, under the needle. Went right through my left index fingernail right through to...