Quilting with Masking Tape

 What with caregiving, I don't have much time for quilting, but I do try to get 15 minutes in now and then.  I've been working on a St Anne's baby quilt that a member turned in for a bit of quilting.  Since these are well used we don't do a lot of quilting on them. When the blocks are large, they need something. This quilt has blocks that measure around 13"- 13.5 " square (rectangles?). So I just wanted something that would keep the three layers together.  This was my first time quilting a quilt after it was bound.  Here's how it went.

1.  Using wide masking tape (almost 2"), I cut pieces to put along the inside edges of the block. Using those as my guide I cut some more pieces of tape and  put them along the inside edges of the first round.


2. Using my walking foot I stitched around the inner masking tape edges. Then I removed the inner tape (last on, first off) and began stitching along the inner edge of the first round of masking tape.


3. With that stitching done, peeled off the tape and my block was quilted.  I used the same tape strips for all five squares. The whole quilt is a large nine-patch. Once I've meandered the other four blocks I'll show it to you.


What are you up to?


7 comments:

  1. Thanks, Billie. Got your booster yet?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for teaching this so well. I have never seen it before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Yvonne. Saw this in a class on machine quilting with a walking foot. It has been a great help in getting some quilts done.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. It's also great for doing straight lines. See my swan panel in a previous post.

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by. It's always nice to hear from you. I try to reply to each and every one of you, but sometimes life gets in the way. I hope you understand. Blessings.

All Comes to A Halt

 Sighhhh....  While I was quilting I  ran my finger, somehow, under the needle. Went right through my left index fingernail right through to...