It was a good week for destashing - at least for my goals that is. I have pulled 4 1/4 yards for two charity quilt backs I have started. I made a quiltlet (.22 yd )and finished a mug rug (.04 yd). Now you're probably wondering how I got those numbers in parentheses. And I have a friend who wants to know how I figure yardage using scraps so here goes. When I've finished a project [let's use the mug rug as the example] I measure my piece - in this case it was only the backing that I pulled from my stash. It measured 7.5 inches square. Now I found how many square inches there are in a yard (using 36 x 42 measurement). There are 1512 square inches in this yard. I'm going to use that as my standard yard. So I multiplied my mug rug backing 7.5 x 7.5 and got 56.25 sq inches. I divide that by the 1512 and get 0.0372 or 0.04 of a yd. That quiltlet that I made - it was 18" square. Doubled the 18 and divided by 1512 to get .22 yds. Clear as mud?
When I'm making a scrap block, I lay out my scraps and work out how many inches I took out of my stash. The little I have left is usually too small to go back into the scrap bin (it's not going back into my stash!), so it isn't added back. Take the photo above. I laid out my scraps and I would roughly be using a rectangle of fabric that measures 11 x 14 or 154 square inches or .10 yd.
Why do I bother - Hey! Progress is progress - no matter how tiny a destash - LOL. Here are my numbers:
Used/Donated this week: 4.51 yards
Used/Donated YTD: 57.56 yards
Added/Bought this week: 0.00 yards
Added/Bought YTD: 21.5 yards
------------------------------
Net Decrease YTD: 36.06 yards
How are you doing on your destashing? Go on over to Judy's Patchwork Times and see how others are doing.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Cool September
Not that I believe to last of the hot days are over, but it's been cool all the days of September so far. Thanks be to God! And I...
-
Welcome to everyone visiting for the Giving Thanks Blog Hop Party. A big hug to Michele of the The Quilting Gallery for organizing this e...
-
Not that I believe to last of the hot days are over, but it's been cool all the days of September so far. Thanks be to God! And I...

Interesting way to figure your yardage. I weigh mine. I have a small digital scale and I weighed a few sample yards, took the average and now can weigh a finished quilt and translate it into yardage.
ReplyDelete