WIPs Be Gone Week 17

Another WIP done!  This one is #9.
 I started this when our Darling Lily was 2 in the hopes of having it done when she got a youth bed. Well, that didn't happen. Now she has a twin bed and she's just turned 5 April 16th, and I finally finished it.
 Here's the busy back I used for it. The machine worked beautifully for me and it used about 10 bobbins worth of So Fine thread.
I tried different motifs in the sashing strips that formed on two sides when I cut up the disappearing Nine-Patch blocks.  I'm really liking this pattern - it's so easy but seems complicated.  It's about 54" by 68".

Have to go back now and work on #3, 5, 6 and 7.  Not as far along as that #9 makes it look like I am.   How are you doing on your wips?Would love to see - doesn't have to be a finish, but we'll admire those, too.  Linky below - remember it doesn't have to be a new post, just one that shows a WIP.  Ends Monday, midnight.  I'm linking to Sarah's Can I get a Whoop, Whoop?, Amanda's for Finish it Up Fridays, and Richard's Link a finish Friday. And for the FMQ,  linking to Lizzie's fun party FMQ Mavericks.   and Julie for her Pet Project ShowLots of eye candy on the NET.  Bye for now. 


Going Through My Mind This Tuesday

 This would make a good setting for my poppy.

 Would love to make this into a medallion for a 4th of July quilt.

 A scrappy back for a charity quilt

The snack mat I received from the online swap.

 Our Darling Lily is 5

 Lily ready to blow out the candles. That's a sucker she's working on.

 Party favors - a good idea for de-stashing.

 Still working on finding a home for this 112 year old quilt.

 Thinking about using this as a quilting motif for my elephant quilt.

  Wouldn't this make a stunning quilt?  Floor at Library of Congress.  So I'm thinking quilting while I'm quilting Lily's quilt, but not much else to show.  Leave me a comment and I'll come see your eye candy.


Tut - Continuously Sewing A Hexie Flower

I recently figured out  how I can continuously sew my hexies when making a flower..  This saves me time as I don't have to stop and start with each hexagon I add.

Here's a few set out to use for this tutorial.
Layering my first two hexagons, right sides together, I first bury the thread knot under the seam allowance at the point where I am starting.. I'll be using red thread so you can see it better. Pardon the blurry photo - forgot to use the macro feature.  At the end of the first seam I make a loop and put the needle through it to form a knot in the two hexagons.  I do this twice. Now I bury the thread under the seam allowance where I finished.

Now I place it back in the donut shape facing up.  

I fold over the next loose hexagon on top of hexie #2  that I sewed together. (disregard the arrows on the paper - that was from another use.
I place an applique pin in the seam allowance of the side I am going to sew. Believe me, I can get easily confused as to which seam to sew.

Going under the right corner seam allowance of the wrong side, I position my needle in the corner. I pull the thread all the way from the old seam to the new one. It will form a triangle with two sides (as seen below). I do two knots here and sew the seam. At the end I do two knots.

 Again,  I bury the thread at the end of this seam, lay open next to my remaining hexagon, placing  it on top of the last one. I clasp the pair in my left hand (as in 5th photo) and go under the seam allowance to come up at the right corner to start the next seam and then do two knots and sew the seam. I always finish with two knots.
 Once I'm all done the back of the hexagon flower will look like this - with thread crossing from one side to the other.
Now I clip those threads right at the seam allowance - that way the tails are hidden.
The back shows no threads. And it was much faster to assemble.  Hope this was clear enough.  It's really just remembering to knot at the start and end of seams to use one thread  to join your hexagons.
Thank you to Karen at Faeries and Fibres for sparking my thinking on this.  You can see how she puts the center in.  Click here to go to her site. 

Slow Sunday Stitching

Another flower made.  I am really liking Karen's method of putting the center hexagons into an open donut or "noodle" as she calls them in assembling this flower.  Went together much faster.  And I figured out how to use a continuous thread on all six of the outer hexagons without stopping and starting for each one. I'll put together a short tutorial on that shortly.
Off to start another one so I can use it in the tutorial.  I'm linking to Kathy's Slow Stitching Sunday. Slow down, pick up a needle and relax with her.