Stash Report 4/29/12 & FMQ Challenge

Started a landscape and used .25 yards, started my last Jubilee block for another .13 yards, made a charity top for the St. Anne's group using 1.03 yards, and bound one of the teenager's quilts for another .21 yards.  Here are my numbers:
Used/Donated this week: 1.67 yards
Used/Donated YTD:      59.23 yards
Added/Bought this week: 0.00 yards
Added/Bought YTD:      21.5 yards
------------------------------
Net Decrease YTD:       37.73  yards

I'm linking to Judy's Patchwork Times - see what progress has been made there on destashing. Button on sidebar.

And now for my FMQ Challenge.  I have to post this today as tomorrow will be busy.  One has to complete and post the FMQ project for the month before that month ends, so here goes.  Our teacher this time is Don Linn.  He does fabulous work.  His method for marking designs uses tulle, a hoop and pens with water soluble ink. The good thing about his method is you can make your own designs easily and enlarge them easily too!  I like that.  But I don't have tulle or hoop and I'm trying not to go to a quilt store or Jo-Ann's so I had to make do with freezer paper again.
 I made an extra copy of the pattern and cut it out for the outline. Then taking the intact copy, I traced it onto a square of freezer paper and cut out the pattern.  You can see that I clipped the lines in the leaves and other parts leaving just a little bit attached so that I would have the least amount of paper to tear away.
 I've positioned the outline paper on the sandwiched block.  This block is part of a large quilt already sandwiched and some of the blocks are already quilted.  I should have traced the block onto freezer paper.  That way I could have ironed this in place and I wouldn't have to worry about it moving.
 Next, I laid the cut pattern in  the outline area.  Again, I learned that I should have numbered the leaves so that they would be easier to match.
 Once in position (sort of), I started to iron down the pattern to the block.
 Here it is with the outline copy removed and all ironed down.
 Following Don's excellent order of sewing directions, I quilted the design.  It was a snap to remove the paper as there were so many places where I quilted next to the paper, not on it.  See a couple of dark sewing lines? That's where I sewed on the paper, right where the pencil line was and the lead transferred to the cloth - darn!
 Okay, this is a big block.  How was I going to fill it?  Decided to try free motion echo quilting.
And here is my finished block.  I'm linking this post to the FMQ Challenge 2012.  You'll find that button on my sidebar also. Now off to start back basting my Jubilee album block.  What are you up to?

2 comments:

  1. Your block came out beautiful! I wish I had kept on quilting around mine but I just sewed the actual design. I love the echo quilting. I can always add it. Awesome work!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice looking flower stencil that you created. Thanks for sharing the technique you used.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by. It's always nice to hear from you. I try to reply to each and every one of you, but sometimes life gets in the way. I hope you understand. Blessings.

All Comes to A Halt

 Sighhhh....  While I was quilting I  ran my finger, somehow, under the needle. Went right through my left index fingernail right through to...