I've decided to chronicle my "quilting as I go method" for getting quilts done with my Bernina. Yes, I have taken some to long arm quilters to do, but I've become intrigued in doing these at home. I read an article by Diane Gaudinski and she has me in awe for the fabulous work she does on her home machine. So after reading books by Diane, Kaye Wood, Marti Michell, Georgia Bonesteel, Betty Cotton, Sharon Pederson and others, I decided to try quilting my own tops. Here are two I have already done this way - posted in order made:
So first thing I do is take out the batting I will need for the quilt, wash it, dry it and plan how I am going to cut up the batting for the number of sections the quilt will have. I like to use batting that is 80% cotton and 20% polyester. I find that this doesn't shift as much as others and makes for smooth backs.
For UFO #5- I have decided on seven sections. I've already taken the blocks down from the design wall, so I can't show you that. So on paper I figure out what I need. This is just breaking the quilt down to segments that are easy to handle in my machine. The center has 70 blocks, so I decided on three sections. My squares are 6"squares finished. So one section is 4 rows by seven blocks And there are 2 sections 3 rows by 7 blocks. The other 4 sections will be borders. I add 2 inches extra to the batting and backing sections so that they extend beyond the quilt segments. With planning on graph paper, I can cut all segments from a twin batting measuring 72"by 90". It's not a complicated as it reads once you've done it.
Now I like to have a patchwork back, so I look in my stash for three interesting fabrics to be the backing for the center of this quilt. If I can find something big enough, I'll use one fabric for all the borders. Off to my stash. Time for cutting batting, and picking fabrics = 1 hour.
Part II later.
We are so excited! And no, don't know the name yet - they're seeing what fits him from their list. He has dark hair and blue eyes at this time. Pictures coming - they are so tired. Ay de mí!
Both baby and mom are fine. I'm posting a pic of a coverlet I made for DGS3. It is just cloth and flannel quilted at the squares and around the figures. I thought they could use it for the summer. Guess I'll have to get busy and make a real quilt promptly, and put the Sunbonnet Sue quilt away for later--LOL! More news as it comes.